In 1838, Christian Gobrecht, the third Chief Engraver of the United States Mint, introduced the “Seated Liberty” design, which featured a seated figure of Liberty on the obverse, and an eagle on the reverse. This design became a popular symbol of American freedom and was used on the quarter for over 50 years. In 1892, the “Barber” design was introduced, named after its designer, Chief Engraver Charles E. Barber. This design featured a bust of Liberty on the obverse, and an eagle with outstretched wings on the reverse, along with a heraldic shield. The Barber quarter was used until 1916, and is known for its simple, yet elegant design.
In 1916, the “Standing Liberty” design was introduced by sculptor Hermon A. MacNeil. This design depicted Liberty standing, holding a shield and an olive branch on the obverse, and an eagle in flight on the reverse. The Standing Liberty quarter is notable for its intricate details and artistic beauty, and it was in circulation until 1930. In 1932, the “Washington” design was introduced to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the birth of George Washington, the first President of the United States. This design, by sculptor John Flanagan, featured a bust of Washington on the obverse, and an eagle with outstretched wings on the reverse. The Washington quarter has been in circulation for over 90 years and is still used today.